1840 - 1880
Multiple-bay two-storey terrace of three houses, comprising six-bay house to west end, having buttress to west gable, return to rear (south) and integral carriage arch, built c.1850, five-bay house to centre, having dormer attic and return to rear, built c.1850, and four-bay house to east end, built 1874, having dormer attic and return to rear. Formerly in use as hotel and shops, now in use as shops and ofices, with recent shopfronts inserted throughout. Pitched slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks with corbelled cornice and with some clay chimney pots. Barrel-roofed dormer windows, having fishscale slates to sides and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to pair to east, with timber pilasters flanking window openings. Some cast-iron rainwater goods. Decorative painted render eaves course, comprising shallow cornice with dentils and modillions, with frieze broken by windows and niches. Painted rendered walls to front elevation, lined-and-ruled to west end and centre; render quoins to both ends of house to west. Unpainted lined-and-ruled walls to east gable. Segmental-headed window openings to west house with continuous sill course and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed window openings with painted stone sills to east and centre houses, having timber sliding sash windows with one-over-one panes to east house, and replacement windows to centre house, with segmental-headed flat niches above windows. Round-headed door opening to centre house, having timber panelled door and plain overlight, with timber framed lettered sign above.
Despite significant alterations to the fenestration and ground floor, the strong decorative cornice unifies the terrace and is a particulary striking and unusual feature. Formerly the Green Tree Hotel, (http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/L_CAB_03946) it occupies a prominent position on Fitzwilliam Square.