1700 - 1840
Semi-detached two-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, extant 1840, on a square plan. One of a pair. Pitched fibre-cement slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack having capping supporting yellow terracotta pots, central rooflight to front (north) pitch, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast battered walls. Segmental-headed door opening (east) with step threshold, and concealed dressings having splayed reveals framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed window opening in shared square-headed recess (first floor) with cut-granite sill, and concealed dressings framing four-over-four timber sash window. Square-headed window openings (west) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing eight-over-eight timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): vestibule; square-headed door opening into hall with glazed timber panelled door having sidelights below overlight; hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, staircase on a dog leg plan with timber balusters supporting timber banister terminating in turned timber newels, and carved timber surrounds to door openings to landing framing timber panelled doors; room (north-west) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surround to window opening framing timber panelled shutters; room (south-west) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surround to window opening framing timber panelled shutters; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house erected as one of a pair of houses (including 15505020) representing an integral component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the collective composition suggested by such attributes as the compact plan form centred on coupled doorcases; the slight diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a feint graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, thus upholding the character or integrity of a house forming part of a self-contained ensemble making a pleasing visual statement in Peter Street.