1830 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, between 1830-40, possibly over basement. Mostly refenestrated, pre-1993. Now in commercial use to ground floor. One of a group of six. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack over red brick construction having stepped capping supporting terracotta pots, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-granite sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, pre-1993, retaining three-over-six timber sash windows to top floor. Square-headed door opening in square-headed recess with two cut-granite steps, timber panelled (hollow) pilaster doorcase on cut-granite padstones, and timber panelled door having decorative overlight. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front [VO/SS].
A well composed house of the middle size built by the Rowe family of Ballycross House as one of a group of six identical units (with 15503105 - 109) making a positive contribution to the streetscape aesthetic of Rowe Street Lower with attributes identifying a sophisticated design programme including the vertical emphasis of the massing contributing to a stepped roofline corresponding with or following the incline or slope in the street, the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual effect, the understated surface articulation focused on a Classically-detailed doorcase displaying good quality carpentry, and so on. Having been reasonably well maintained, the house continues to express an early aspect with the elementary composition surviving in place together with much of the historic fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior: however, the character or external expression of the composition has not benefited from the introduction of replacement fittings to most of the openings.