1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay four-storey house, c.1800. Renovated, pre-1880, with rendered façade enrichments added. Renovated and refenestrated, post-1996, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Now in use as offices to upper floors. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks over red brick construction, rendered coping, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered stepped eaves having iron ties. Rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills (on corbels to second floor), rendered dressings, pre-1880, including surrounds to first floor having triangular pediments on shared entablature, moulded surrounds to second floor, moulded heeled surrounds to top floor, and replacement uPVC casement windows, post-1996 (replacing six-over-six and three-over-three (top floor) timber sash windows). Replacement timber shopfront, post-1996, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane window, glazed timber door, glazed timber panelled door to house having overlight, fascia having fluted consoles, and stepped cornice. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with cobbled footpath to front.
A very well composed house of the middle size built as one of an identical pair (with 15503089) making an elegant contribution to the street scene on account of attributes including the slender vertical emphasis of the massing, the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a tiered visual effect, the later rendered accents producing a refined Classical theme, and so on. However, while the elementary form and massing survive largely intact together with some of the historic fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, the character or external expression of the house in North Main Street has not benefited from the introduction of replacement fittings to the openings.