1700 - 1840
Attached three-bay three-storey over basement house, extant 1840, on a rectangular plan. Occupied, 1901; 1911. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, concrete or rendered coping to gables with rendered chimney stacks to apexes having capping supporting terracotta pots, and cast-iron rainwater goods on red brick header bond stepped eaves retaining cast-iron hoppers and downpipes. Rendered wall (ground floor); slate hung surface finish (upper floors); rendered surface finish (remainder). Square-headed door opening (west) with concealed dressings framing timber panelled door having overlight. Square-headed window openings (ground floor) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six timber sash windows without horns. Square-headed window openings (upper floors) with cut-granite sills, and concealed dressings framing six-over-six (first floor) or three-over-six (top floor) timber sash windows. Interior including (ground floor): hall retaining carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors, timber staircase with turned timber balusters supporting carved timber banister, and carved timber surrounds to door openings to landings framing timber panelled doors; reception room (east) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with timber panelled shutters to window openings, Classical-style chimneypiece, and reeded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; and carved timber surrounds to door openings to remainder framing timber panelled doors with timber panelled shutters to window openings. Street fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A house representing an important component of the domestic built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the high pitched roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior including not only crown or cylinder glazing panels in hornless sash frames, but also a partial slate hung surface finish widely regarded as an increasingly endangered hallmark of the architectural heritage of County Wexford (cf. 15503003 - 15503004; 15503052; 15503058). NOTE: Occupied by Michael Finn (d. 1869), 'Gentleman late of Allen-street Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1872, 210); and (1901; 1911) by Margaret Finn (d. 1911), 'National [School] Teacher late of Allen-street Wexford' (Calendars of Wills and Administrations 1911, 186).