1920 - 1925
Detached four-bay four-storey double-pile over basement bank, built 1921-3; opened 1923, on a square plan; three-bay full-height rear (east) elevation. Renovated, 2005-6. Pitched double-pile (M-profile) slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, cut-granite coping to gables with granite ashlar chimney stacks to apexes having "Cavetto" stringcourses below capping supporting terracotta pots, and concealed rainwater goods. Channelled granite ashlar wall (ground floor) on moulded cushion course on granite ashlar base with cornice on frieze on entablature; granite ashlar surface finish (upper floors) with dentilated cornice on frieze on entablature; granite ashlar surface finish (top floor) with ogee cornice below parapet; rendered (north) or slate hung (south) surface finish with roughcast surface finish to rear (east) elevation. Series of remodelled round-headed openings (ground floor) with channelled voussoirs centred on cut-granite "bas-relief" keystones framing replacement fixed-pane timber fittings. Square-headed window openings (first floor) with cut-granite sill course, and cut-granite surrounds centred on quatrefoil-detailed keystones with hood mouldings framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings (second floor) with cut-granite sills on dentil consoles, and cut-granite surrounds framing one-over-one timber sash windows. Round-headed window openings (top floor) with cut-granite sill course, and cut-granite surrounds framing timber casement windows having overlights Interior including (ground floor): remodelled banking hall; (first floor): office (north) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled reveals or shutters on panelled risers, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling; office (south) retaining carved timber surround to door opening framing timber panelled door with carved timber surrounds to window openings framing timber panelled reveals or shutters on panelled risers, and moulded plasterwork cornice to ceiling centred on decorative plasterwork ceiling rose; (upper floors): carved timber surrounds to door openings framing timber panelled doors. Set back from line of street with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A bank erected to a design by Thomas Scully (1869-1946/7) of Beresford Street, Waterford (Irish Builder 15th December 1923, 974), representing an important component of the early twentieth-century built heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, a Venetian "palazzo" recalling the Scully-designed bank (1918-21) in Kilkenny, confirmed by such attributes as the compact square plan form; the construction in a silver-grey "native" granite demonstrating good quality workmanship; the diminishing in scale of the openings on each floor producing a graduated visual impression; and the parapeted roofline. Having been well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including a partial slate hung surface finish: meanwhile, contemporary joinery; and plasterwork refinements, all highlight the artistic potential of a bank making a pleasing visual statement in Main Street North.