Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Detached six-bay two-storey public house and grocery store, built c.1900, having later single-storey wings/extensions to either gable end (east and west). Pitched natural slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and three brick chimneystacks, one to either gable end and one to the centre. Rendered walls over projecting plinth with brick block-and-start surrounds to the openings and painted quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings to first floor openings with cut stone sills and replacement windows. Square-headed window and door openings to ground floor, with modern replacement fittings, having fascia board over, running length of façade, supported on cement/rendered brackets. Incised lettering to fascia reads 'Grocer, Mary Lynch, Wine Merchant'. Collection of enameled signs attached to walls. Road-fronted adjacent to former main Dublin to Mullingar road adjacent to Royal Canal (McNeads Bridge).
A large-scale and prominently-sited commercial premises, which retains much of its early character and form. This building has been altered recently with the subsequent loss of important early fabric, particularly to the openings, and this has detracted somewhat from the visual appeal and importance of this structure. Nevertheless, it represents a good example of a traditional commercial building and it retains a good quality rendered shopfront that, unusually, runs the entire length of this six-bay building. Its position adjacent to the rail line and Royal Canal network indicates the closer links between these modes of transport in the past.