In Use As
1900 - 1950
Detached three-bay single-storey house, built c.1930, with projecting canted bay to the east end of the main elevation (south). Return to rear (north). Constructed on the site of a former gate lodge associated with Bellmount House, built c.1800. Hipped tiled roof, set in diamond pattern over canted bay projection, with rendered chimneystacks. Roughcast rendered walls now covered in creeper. Square-headed window openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to canted bay projection with metal casements to remainder of structure. Square-headed doorway to west elevation. Bounded by cast-iron railings to the east. Rebuilt dressed limestone gate piers, square in plan, to the east supporting cast-iron gates. Located to the east of Bellmount House (15402505) and to the southwest of Mullingar.
Though this gate lodge appears to have been built c.1930, it is possible that the picture windows, tiled roof and roughcast walls mask a much earlier gate lodge, built c.1800, associated with Bellmount House (15402505). Nevertheless, as it stands, this building is representative of early twentieth-century architecture. Smothered in a creeper and situated adjacent to the roadside this lodge adds character and 1930's charm to its location. The cast-iron railings to the east are earlier and associated with the former main entrance to Bellmount House.