Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1780 - 1820
Detached single-storey vernacular house, built c.1800. Now derelict and in use as an agricultural outbuilding. Steeply hipped corrugated-iron roof, formerly thatched with evidence of early thatch covering surviving over the open roof structure to the interior. Battered mud-walled construction over rubble stone plinth/base. Square-headed openings having timber lintels and remains of timber window frames. Complex of rubble stone outbuildings arranged around a central courtyard to the east of house, comprising (1) Four-bay single-storey rubble stone structure with pitched corrugated-iron roof and square-headed openings with brick surrounds. Cast-iron feeding trough to interior of eastern bay. (2) Open three-bay rubble stone shelter with a timber posts supporting pitched corrugated-iron roof to the east. (3) Three-bay single-storey rubble stone structure with evidence of thatched roof with steeply hipped corrugated-iron over to the north. Main entrance to the north with squared rubble limestone gate piers (on square-plan) with cut limestone coping over having wrought-iron double gates. Entrance to adjacent field to west with wrought-iron gate bar. Complex open to east facing adjacent property (15401901). Located to the west of Mullingar Town adjacent to road junction.
An appealing and increasingly rare complex of vernacular structures, which retain their early form and character despite their now derelict condition. The main house exhibits many interesting facets of Irish vernacular building traditions, including construction using earth and local field stone and an early timber roof structure with surviving evidence of thatch roofing. The relationship of this complex to the adjacent later house (15401901), suggests that the single-storey house was the original dwelling before the later structure was built. This complex subsequently acted as ancillary buildings/outbuildings associated with this new house. This vernacular complex, together with the rubble stone walls, gate piers and the wrought-iron gates remains an important element of the vernacular heritage of Co. Westmeath.