Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1840
Terraced four-bay two-storey former bakery, built c.1820 and altered c.1960, with integral segmental-headed carriage arch to southern-most bay. Now in use as private house. Hipped artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks (behind roof ridge), projecting eaves course and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth (extending to half way up ground floor), separated by string course. Square-headed window openings with cut stone sills and replacement casement windows with margin glazing pattern . Round-headed door opening with carved stone door surround with keystone over. Replacement timber door with petal fanlight over, now with stained glass. Canted bay window with door and hipped roof over to ground floor to south of doorcase. Road fronted overlooking the Market Square.
A well-proportioned, modest-scale building which retains its early character. The bakery shopfront has long disappeared and the canted bay window feature has taken its place, taking away from the authenticity of the composition. The fine doorcase is of artistic merit and is typical of the mainly early nineteenth-century fabric in the centre of Kilbeggan. The margin glazing pattern of the casement windows probably replicates the design of the original sash windows. This building occupies a prominent position in Kilbeggan, overlooking the Market Square, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape.