Survey Data

Reg No

15321014


Rating

Local


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1830 - 1870


Coordinates

233337, 235480


Date Recorded

17/08/2004


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Semi-detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1850, with mosaic tiled shopfront, c.1950, to ground-floor. One of a pair with the structure to the east. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks to either end and uPVC rainwater goods. Square-headed window openings to first floor with stone sills and replacement timber casement windows. Shopfront comprises mosaic tiled fa├žade with two large fixed casement display windows flanking centrally located square-headed entrance with 1950's timber and glazed door with diagonal chrome handle. Tiled fascia has name 'J. Flynns' made up in mosiac. Mosiac tiles to front step. Road-fronted to west-end of Kilbeggan Main Street.

Appraisal

An interesting example of a 1950s shopfront incorporated into an earlier, mid nineteenth-century, house. The use of mosiac tiling on the shopfront is an indicative feature of 1950s architectural design in Ireland. The door with chrome bar feature also dates to the 'sunshine era'. This modest building is a pleasant addition to the streetscape, adding variety to the centre of Kilbeggan.