1840 - 1860
Mullingar Union Workhouse
Former union workhouse graveyard on irregular plan, used between c.1840 and c.1860. Now out of use. Cut stone gateway to the southwest side having a pair of wrought-iron gates. Located to the north of the former Mullingar Union Workhouse complex (15309008 and 15309018) and to the north of Mullingar.
A somber graveyard associated with the former Mullingar Union Workhouse complex to the southwest (15309008 and 15309018). This graveyard largely contains the marked and unmarked graves of victims of the Great Famine (1845-9) and acts as a poignant reminder of this traumatic event in Irish history. The good quality cut stone gateway to the southwest adds a touch of dignity to this otherwise largely neglected site.