Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1920
Detached three-bay two-storey courthouse, rebuilt c.1916, on site of earlier court house built c.1835. Extensively renovated and extended, c.1995. Hipped slate roof with bracketed eaves. channelled rendered finish to the ground floor, smooth rendered above with Doric pilasters on square plan supporting an eaves pediment over. Raised block quoins to the corners. Square-headed openings with replacement windows. Wide segmental headed doorcase to the centre of front façade with modern doors having glazed surrounds. Central first floor window has a curved, metal balustraded balcony and flagpole. Set back from road with brick-paved forecourt. Various modern extensions to rear.
This small well-proportioned court house has been heavily altered and extended in recent years. The pediment and bracketed eaves appear to be recent additions. This court house is built on the site of an earlier courthouse, marked on the first edition Ordnance Survey six-inch map, c. 1837, indicating a long running civic association with this site on Pearse Street.