Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1890
Cast bronze monument of William Parsons, third Earl of Rosse, erected c.1870. Set within green area, behind railings. Tooled limestone base with carved plaque to each side. Enclosed by cast- and wrought-iron railings.
The fine monument commemorates an accomplished and celebrated figure in Birr's history. The plaque to the base of this monument reads: 'William Third Earl of Rosse 1800-1867 / Builder of the world's greatest telescope, completed at Birr in 1845. President of the Royal Society / Knight of the most illustrious Order of Saint Patrick. Chancellor of the University of Dublin'. Wearing a scholar's robe and touching a globe, this learned figure stands proud in the centre of John's Place.