In Use As
1920 - 1950
Single-arch road bridge carrying road over Royal Canal, built c. 1935. Incorporates dressed limestone fabric from earlier canal bridge to site (including parts of spandrel walls), built c. 1815. Square-headed reinforced concrete deck with chamfered downstand concrete beams. Cement rendered spandrel walls with projecting smooth cement rendered piers on square-plan having stepped coping over. Cement rendered parapets with concrete coping over; projecting string course at road deck level. Rubble stone wing walls from earlier bridge run along canal banks to east and west. Towpath to south bank of canal with dressed limestone retaining walls to canal banks (north and south). Located to the northeast of Ballymahon.
This utilitarian bridge of solid, functional appearance, retains its original form and is a good example of civil engineering techniques dating to the first half of the twentieth century. The engineering heritage significance of the bridge is identified by the construction of the span in reinforced concrete. The plastic possibilities of concrete are exploited to create piers to provide decorative interest, while the structural properties of reinforced concrete allow for a wide deck rather than an arch. Although a modern bridge, this structure is an interesting feature in the rural landscape to the northeast of the Ballymahon. The remains of the original canal bridge to site, the limestone retaining walls to the canal banks and the rubble stone wing walls add an element of history to the site.