Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1820 - 1825
Corner-sited attached six-bay four-storey former flax mill, dated 1821, with single-storey extension to rear (east). Now in use as hotel. Pitched artificial slate roof. Painted rendered walls with cut date plaque. Square-headed openings with replacement windows and doors. Replacement shopfronts to ground floor having segmental-headed window openings. Located to the southeast corner of Richmond Harbour (13307014).
Now known as the Richmond Inn, this hotel's origins as a mill/warehouse are evident in its scale and the multiplicity of small, slightly irregular-spaced window openings. Although now heavily altered, it retains some of its early character. It occupies a prominent corner site to the southeast side of Richmond Harbour (13307014), and this, along with its broad frontage and its height make it a significant architectural feature in the town. The 'V.S' to the date plaque may be initials of one Valesius Skipton, once owner of Clogher/Springfield to the south of Cloondara.