Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wexford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Kilmuckridge Church (Kilmuckridge), Kilmuckridge originally Ford, County Wexford
15702212
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.15702212
Date1810 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILMUCKRIDGE
CountyCounty Wexford
Coordinates316018, 140592
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SCIENTIFIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached three-bay double-height single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built 1815, on a rectangular plan with single-bay three-stage tower to entrance (west) front on a square plan. "Restored", 1877. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, cut-granite coping to gables including cut-granite coping to gable (east) on cut-granite diagonal obelisk pinnacle-topped kneelers with cut-granite diagonal obelisk pinnacle to apex, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods on cut-granite eaves retaining cast-iron octagonal or ogee hoppers and downpipes. Roughcast battered walls with benchmark-inscribed rusticated cut-granite quoins to corners; slate hung surface finish (east); repointed coursed rubble stone surface finish to tower with lichen-spotted cut-granite stringcourses including lichen-spotted cut-granite stringcourse (bell stage) supporting cut-granite diagonal obelisk pinnacle-topped piers to corners centred on crow stepped battlemented parapets having cut-granite coping. Pointed-arch window openings with cut-granite sills, timber Y-mullions, and lichen-spotted cut-granite monolithic surrounds framing timber fittings having cast-iron lattice glazing bars. Pointed-arch window opening to chancel (east) with cut-granite sill, interlocking timber Y-mullions, and cut-granite monolithic surround framing timber fittings having cast-iron lattice glazing bars. Pointed-arch window opening to tower (first stage) with cut-granite sill, timber Y-mullion, and lichen-spotted cut-granite monolithic surround framing four-over-four timber sash windows having Y-tracery glazing bars. Square-headed blind openings (second stage) with cut-granite sills, and lichen-spotted cut-granite monolithic surrounds framing rendered infill. Pointed-arch openings (bell stage) with cut-granite sills, and lichen-spotted cut-granite monolithic surrounds framing louvered fittings. Set in landscaped grounds on a corner site with lichen-spotted rendered, ruled and lined piers to perimeter having cut-granite shallow pyramidal capping supporting arrow head-detailed wrought iron double gates.

Appraisal

A church erected with financial support from the Board of First Fruits (fl. 1711-1833) representing an integral component of the early nineteenth-century ecclesiastical heritage of County Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one recalling the contemporary Saint Busk's Church (Templescoby) (1817), Templescoby (see 15702546), confirmed by such attributes as the standardised nave-with-entrance tower plan form, aligned along a liturgically-correct axis; the "pointed" profile of the openings underpinning a Georgian Gothic theme with those openings showing pretty lattice glazing patterns; and the slender pinnacles embellishing the tower as a picturesque eye-catcher in the landscape. Having been reasonably well maintained, the elementary form and massing survive intact together with substantial quantities of the original fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior, including a partial slate hung surface finish widely regarded as an increasingly endangered hallmark of the architectural heritage of County Wexford: meanwhile, contemporary joinery; and a restrained wall monument commemorating Isabella Armstrong (née Fothergill) (1805-51), all highlight the artistic potential of a church making a pleasing visual statement in a rural street scene.
 
Back To Results