Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wexford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Selskar's Church (Wexford), Temperance Row, Wexford, County Wexford
15502043
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.15502043
Date1815 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyCounty Wexford
Coordinates304633, 122142
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingNational
Original Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Attached six-bay double-height single-cell Board of First Fruits Church of Ireland church, built 1818-26, on a rectangular plan with single-bay full-height "narthex" or porch (west) abutting single-bay three-stage tower house on a square plan. Dismantled, 1961. Now disused. Pitched slate roofs now missing, cut-granite chamfered coping to gables including cut-granite "slated" coping to gable (east), and no rainwater goods surviving on cut-granite chamfered eaves. Part creeper- or ivy-covered tuck pointed coursed "Old Red Sandstone" walls on cut-granite "slated" cushion course on plinth with octagonal pinnacle-topped gabled panelled piers to corners. Lancet window openings between gabled buttresses with cut-granite "slated" sill courses, and cut-granite block-and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals with hood mouldings on engaged octagonal label stops. Lancet "Trinity Window" to chancel (east) with cut-granite "slated" sill course, and cut-granite block-and-start surround having chamfered reveals with hood mouldings on engaged octagonal label stops. Lancet window openings to gable to entrance (west) front, cut-granite block-and-start surrounds having chamfered reveals with hood mouldings on engaged octagonal label stops. Interior in ruins including vestibule (west); interior in ruins with cut-granite corbels originally supporting exposed timber roof construction. Set in unkempt grounds on a corner site.

Appraisal

The shell of a church erected to a design attributed to John Semple (1801-82), Joint Architect to the Province of Dublin (fl. 1823-33; Murphy 2004, 45-55), representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century ecclesiastical heritage of Wexford with the architectural value of the composition, one abutting a church 'founded by the Roches as a priory for the Augustinian Canons Regular' [SMR WX037-032009-], confirmed by such attributes as the compact rectilinear plan form, aligned along a liturgically-correct axis; the construction in a ruby-coloured "Old Red Sandstone" offset by silver-grey granite dressings not only demonstrating good quality workmanship, but also producing an eye-catching two-tone palette; the slender profile of the openings underpinning a "medieval" Gothic theme 'in the early style of English architecture' (Lewis 1837 II, 710) with the chancel defined by an elegant "Trinity Window"; and the polygonal pinnacles embellishing the roofline.
 
Back To Results