County Westmeath - Mon Dec 10 15:47:57 GMT 2018

Main Record - County Westmeath

The Crescent, Tyrrellspass, County Westmeath
15322033
View from the east.
Reg. No.15322033
Date1820 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandTYRRELLSPASS
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates241440, 237860
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original UseRIC barracks
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached five-bay two-storey former courthouse and RIC barracks, built c.1825. Later in use solely as a courthouse (c.1880) and now in use as a private house. Hipped natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles, two ashlar limestone chimneystacks (behind ridge) and cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar limestone front façade with ashlar limestone eaves pediment (over central three bays) with clock face and a cast-iron bellcote over. Roughcast rendered walls to end elevations (east and west). Square-headed window openings with six-over-three pane timber sash windows to first floor and six-over-six pane timber sash windows to ground floor openings. Central round-headed doorcase with moulded limestone surround with keystone, timber panelled door and replacement fanlight over. Flight of five limestone ashlar steps to front. Ashlar limestone gate piers on square plan with limestone capping over and cast-iron double gates to either end (northeast and southwest), giving access to rear. Located in a prominent position, adjacent to St. Sinian's Church of Ireland church, overlooking The Crescent, Tyrrellspass.

Appraisal

An attractive early nineteenth-century building, in a subdued neoclassical style, which retains its early character and form. The well executed, if plain, ashlar limestone façade and the eaves pediment with bellcote helps to give this building a sense of importance and authority within the streetscape. This building is marked as a 'Police Barracks' on an 1837 map. However, it's appearance and form suggests that it may have been built with another purpose in mind. This handsome structure forms part of an important and attractive group of buildings surrounding The Crescent, which were built under the patronage of Jane, Countess of Belvedere between c.1810-1825. The good wrought-iron gates to the northwest and southeast ends completes the setting.
 
Back To Results