Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Dublin Road, Tullamore Road, Kilbeggan, County Westmeath
15321051
Main façade facing east.
Reg. No.15321051
Date1820 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILBEGGAN
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates233589, 235332
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usehotel
In Use Asfilling pump/station
Additional Usepost office
 
Description
End-of-terrace Tudor Gothic style eight-bay two-storey (with attic level) former hotel, built c.1830, on a curved\crescent plan. Central two-bay gable-fronted section flanked by lower single-bay dormer windows (three to north end). Now in use as petrol station, post office, adult education office and private flats. Hipped natural slate roof (half-hipped to south end) with rendered chimneystacks, raised stone verges and cast-iron rainwater goods. Roughcast rendered walls with rendered quoins to corners, smooth cement rendered to east end elevation. Square-headed window openings with timber sash windows to north end of main façade, replacement windows elsewhere. Window openings to main façade have cut stone sills and cut stone hoodmouldings over. Windows paired to central bay. No hoodmouldings over window openings to end elevations. Paired square-headed doorcases to centre with chamfered cut stone surrounds, cut stone hoodmouldings over and replacement timber doors. Square-headed doorcase with chamfered cut stone surround, cut stone-hoodmoulding over and replacement steel door to north end elevation, modern square-headed carriage-arch to south end of main façade. Located in a prominent position in the streetscape to the east end of Kilbeggan at junction of main roads to Dublin and Tullamore. Petrol pumps to forecourt.

Appraisal

A highly prominent building in a subdued Tudor Gothic style, which provides a formal set piece at the east end of Kilbeggan. It retains its early form and character, despite multiple changes of use over the years. The main façade is slightly clumsy in execution but contains some good cut stone detailing to the window and door openings. The location of this hotel, in close proximity to the former Grand Canal Harbour (built 1828-35), suggests that this structure may have been built to cater for increased canal trade. This building remains an important part of the architectural heritage of Westmeath and a local landmark, dominating the approach into Kilbeggan from the east.
 
Back To Results