Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
St. Loman's Hospital, Delvin Road, Mullingar, County Westmeath
15311012
View from the south.
Reg. No.15311012
Date1930 - 1950
Previous NameN/A
TownlandSPRINGFIELD OR SPITTLEFIELD
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates244873, 253722
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingLocal
Original Usehospital/infirmary
In Use Ashospital/infirmary
 
Description
Detached nine-bay two-storey former tuberculosis hospital building on V-shaped-plan, built c.1940, having multiple-bay single-storey wings to either side (east and west) terminated by single-storey blocks. Single-bay curved entrance porch to the centre of the main building having three grouped narrow window openings over at first floor level. Hipped tiled roofs with overhanging eaves to the main central block and continuous glass canopies to the front faces of single-storey wings (south). Roughcast rendered walls with square-headed openings having replacement windows. Smooth rendered string course at first floor level to main block with rusticated quoins to the corners. Square-headed doorway to front face of porch having timber double doors. Set back from road in shared grounds with St. Loman's Hospital (15311017). Located to the southwest of the main hospital building and to the northeast of Mullingar.

Appraisal

This is a typical layout for tuberculosis treatment with the individual wards laid out in separate wings so that patients could be wheeled out into the sun under the sheltered glass canopies, which are south-facing. The building has been substantially upgraded/altered and is more notable for its function and plan rather than its architectural quality. It forms part of interesting collection of buildings in the St. Loman's Hospital complex, which together illustrate changing theories and practice in hospital design over a 100 year period. Probably built to designs by Boyd Barrett Architects who carried out building works here c.1940, mainly funded through the Irish Hospital Sweepstakes.
 
Back To Results