Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
John Daly's, Martin's Lane, Mullingar, County Westmeath
15310197
General view from the southeast
Reg. No.15310197
Date1840 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMULLINGAR
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates243668, 253036
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Useshop/retail outlet
In Use Aspublic house
Additional Usehouse
 
Description
Terraced three-bay two-storey former retail unit, built c.1850. Now in use as a public house and amalgamated with the building to the south (15310198). Pitched slate roof having a shared rendered chimneystack to the north end. Roughcast rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth. Segmental-headed window openings to the first floor with rendered reveals and replacement windows. Central shallow segmental-headed doorway with rendered pilasters having moulded brackets over (bracket to north removed), a timber door and a plain overlight. Doorway flanked to either side (north and south) by wide segmental-headed display windows having rendered reveals and plate glass windows with central mullion. Shopfront over comprising rendered fascia board having incised lettering reading 'T. L. Hutchinson', moulded brackets to either end and a pronounced moulded cornice over. Road-fronted on a back lane to the north side of the centre of Mullingar.

Appraisal

A simple but well-proportioned mid nineteenth-century building, which retains its early form and character. This modest building is enlivened by the well-detailed fascia board, the wide display windows and by the central bracketed doorway. It is unusual to find a shopfront of this nature on such a peripheral side street, indicating that it originally formed the side entrance to a large retail outlet fronting on Oliver Plunkett Street. This building forms part of a complex of structures with the buildings adjacent to the north (15310196) and the south (15310198). It makes a positive contribution to the streetscape with the shopfront adding attractive incident to Martin's Lane.
 
Back To Results