Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Bank of Ireland, 50 Pearse Street, Mullingar, County Westmeath
15310193
View from the south.
Reg. No.15310193
Date1855 - 1865
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMULLINGAR
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates243706, 253049
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebank/financial institution
In Use Asbank/financial institution
 
Description
Terraced four-bay three-storey bank, built c.1860. Pitched natural slate roof, partially hidden behind a raised parapet/blocking course, having rendered chimneystacks (with terracotta pots over) to either gable end and a projecting bracketed eaves course. Rendered finish to ground floor with red brick construction over, having raised 'belt-buckle'-style quoins to the corners at first and second floor level and block quoins to the ground floor. Segmental-headed window openings to upper floors with bracketed stone sills, one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and shouldered architraves. Altered plate glass windows to ground floor with barley-sugar columns having foliate capitals supporting modern fascia over. Round-headed doorcase to either end having replacement timber doors, plain glass overlights and a cut stone doorcases, comprising pilasters with recessed square-headed panels having carved Gothic-style foliate capitals over supporting scrolled architraves above. Road-fronted to the north side of Pearse Street, overlooking Market Square to the south.

Appraisal

A robust and well-detailed Victorian bank building, which retains its early character and form. It has a commanding presence in the streetscape, reflecting the period when bank buildings were designed to express the solidity and wealth of the institution through their architecture. This building has an Italianate feel to the upper floors, while the elaborate cut stone doorcases to either end lend it a Venetian Gothic character to the ground floor. This building was probably originally built by the Hibernian Bank Company (archival sources) and forms part of an unusual good and quite varied collection of mid-to-late nineteenth-century bank buildings in Mullingar. This imposing building is an important addition to the streetscape and a worthy addition to the architectural heritage of Mullingar.
 
Back To Results