Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 View location on map print-icon   Print This Page
Church View, Bishop's Gate Street, Mullingar, County Westmeath
15310181
View from the north.
Reg. No.15310181
Date1850 - 1870
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMULLINGAR
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates243601, 253119
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingLocal
Original Usehouse
In Use Asoffice
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built c.1860. Now in use as offices. Pitched natural slate roof with rendered chimneystacks (having terracotta pots over) to each gable end. Smooth rendered walls over smooth rendered plinth course with raised alternating block and 'belt-buckle'-style quoins to the corners. Square-headed window openings with replacement window fittings. Central square-headed doorway having a timber door, overlight and a timber doorcase, comprising fluted timber pilasters with fluted timber console brackets supporting a pronounced timber cornice over. Set back from road with small enclosed garden to the north with a rendered boundary wall having simple wrought-iron railings over. Simple wrought-iron gate. Stone jostle stone/wheel guard to the corner of garden wall at the west end.

Appraisal

A modest and plainly detailed mid-to-late nineteenth-century house, which retains some of its early character and form. The loss of the early windows detract somewhat from the visual expression of this structure. The 'belt-buckle'-style quoins to the corners are a recurring motif in Mullingar, possibly indicating a local design trend. The simple wrought-iron railings and the retention of the wheel guard adds interest to the streetscape. This building makes a modest contribution to Bishop's Gate Street, forming part of a varied collection of mid-to-late nineteenth-century houses along the south side of this street. Quite similar in form to 'St Kevin's' to the east, suggesting that they built as part of a common building project.
 
Back To Results