Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
3 and 5 Mary Street, Mullingar, County Westmeath
15310172
View from the northwest.
Reg. No.15310172
Date1830 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMULLINGAR
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates243500, 253053
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Pair of terraced two-bay two-storey houses with attic levels, built c.1840. Forms part of a uniform terrace of four with the buildings adjacent to the north and the south (15310171 and 15310173). Pitched natural slate roof with overhanging eaves, cast-iron rainwater goods with downpipes set into purpose built recesses and with a shared rendered chimneystacks to either end having diagonally-set top sections. Gable-fronted dormer openings having timber barge boards and replacement windows. Ruled-and-line rendered walls over projecting plinth. Square-headed window openings having stone sills and replacement windows. Shared chamfered segmental-headed cut limestone doorcase to the centre having inset round-headed doorways with glazed timber doors, plain overlights and a central timber panelled mullion/pier. Road-fronted to the east side of Mary's Street.

Appraisal

An unusual pair of simple but well-detailed mid nineteenth-century terraced houses, which retain much of their early character and form. The loss of the early fittings to the window openings fails to detract substantially from the visual expression of these appealing structures. These buildings have a number of unusual features of interest, including the recessed downpipes, the curiously heavy and robust shared cut limestone doorcase and the diagonally-set chimneystacks, which are almost Tudor-revival in character. The shared central doorcase is a particularly noteworthy feature that enlivens the front façade. These buildings form part of a good quality uniform terrace and are a notable addition to the streetscape of Mullingar.
 
Back To Results