Main Record - County Westmeath
|Mullingar Railway Station, Mullingar, County Westmeath
|Date||1860 - 1890|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL|
|In Use As||platform|| |
Detached single-storey railway platform shelter with two single-storey ancillary structures (waiting room to the east end and a shed to the west end) associated with Mullingar Train Station (15310049), built c.1875. Platform on curved in plan following course of railway lines. Pitched corrugated roof supported on cast-iron columns and cast-iron roof structure. Decorative pierced timber bargeboards to eaves. Timber boarded construction to waiting room and shed to the west end of platform shelter having timber door and timber windows. Entrance to subway (giving assess under railway line) to the east end having cast-iron railings. Located to the northwest of the main Mullingar Station Building (15310049) on an island site.
A simple but elegant platform shelter (and ancillary structures) built at the height of railway prosperity in the late nineteenth-century. The attractive cast-iron columns and roof structure add a decorative element to this functional structure. This platform shelter was built by the Midland and Great Western Railway Company to serve the Mullingar to Sligo line, which opened in 1855, but this structure probably dates to the end of the century. The building to the west end may have been built as a ticket office. This platform shelter forms part of an important group of structures associated with Mullingar Station (15310049), which represents one of the best examples of its type in Ireland.
Back To Results|