Main Record - County Westmeath
|Mullingar Railway Station, Mullingar, County Westmeath
|Date||1915 - 1925|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL|
|Original Use||signal box|
|In Use As||signal box|| |
Detached four-bay two-storey signal box associated with Mullingar Station (15310049), built c.1920. Pitched roof with wide overhanging eaves supported on decorative timber brackets. Rusticated concrete block chimneystack to west gable. Constructed of rusticated concrete blocks to the ground floor, having a moulded cornice over, with timber-framed construction over to first floor viewing storey. Square-headed window openings to ground floor having timber windows. Square-headed doorcase to west gable end having timber door. Square-headed window openings to first floor viewing having walls of timber casement windows above glazed panels. Interior retains early signal equipment. Located to the east of the main station building (15310049).
A good quality early twentieth-century signal box, which retains its early form, character and fabric. This structure is one of the later buildings in the Mullingar Station complex and replaced an earlier signal box at this station. It is built to the usual Midland and Great Western Railway Company designs and is one of a number of similar structures in Westmeath. This building was used as a set in the film 'The Great Train Robbery'. It forms part of an important group of structures associated with Mullingar Station (15310049), together representing one of the best examples of their type in Ireland.
Back To Results|