Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Westmeath

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
St. John's Church, Drumcree, County Westmeath
15305012
Front elevation from the north.
Reg. No.15305012
Date1800 - 1815
Previous NameN/A
TownlandLOUGHSTOWN
CountyCounty Westmeath
Coordinates254878, 265517
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Freestanding Church of Ireland church, rebuilt c.1811. Now in use as private dwelling. Comprises three-bay hall with three-stage tower on square-plan with battlemented parapet and corner pinnacles adjoining to entrance (north) façade. Single-bay single-storey vestry to southwest. Pitched natural slate roof with battlemented parapet and cast-iron rain water goods. Roughcast render over limestone rubble walls. Pointed-arched openings with Y-tracery to nave with lattice and stained glass windows to east elevation and replacement windows to west. Buttresses between each bay to nave, topped by stone pinnacles with ball finials. Single large pointed-arched window to chancel gable with small louvred opening above. Pointed-arched doorcase with cut limestone surrounds and studded timber battened door to east elevation of tower. Single Gothic-arched window to first stage of tower, with copper and brass clockface above to second stage and large pointed-arched louvred opening above, separated by projecting string course at each stage. South-face of tower is slate-hung. Interesting interior with timber panelling and decorative plaster moulding. Set back from road in own grounds with rubble limestone boundary wall to north. Under renovation 2004.

Appraisal

A picturesque and modest scale church built in a subdued Gothic Revival-style. This church was rebuilt in 1811 using a loan of £850 from the Board of First Fruits (c.1711-1833). This building retains its original form and character and much of its original fabric despite conversion to a private dwelling in 2004. The stained glass, internal plasterwork and cut stone detailing are of artistic distinction. The church is of social significance as a reminder of the once thriving Church of Ireland community in North Westmeath. The church is an attractive landmark in the locality and the tower adds incident to the skyline. It forms an interesting pair of related structures along with the former rectory (15400824) to the southwest.
 
Back To Results