Main Record - County Westmeath
|Kinturk House, Dublin Road, Castlepollard, County Westmeath
|Date||1750 - 1825|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL|
|Original Use||country house|
|In Use As||office|| |
Attached five-bay three-storey over basement country house, built c.1760. Remodelled and extended in 1821 with the addition of single-storey wings to either end (southwest and northeast) having round-headed niches, a freestanding tetrastyle Ionic porch to the centre of the main façade (northwest) and a large three-storey block to rear (southeast). Later in use as a convent and now in use as a hospital. Shallow hipped natural slate roof with four ashlar chimneystacks, cast-iron rainwater goods and a moulded ashlar cornice at eaves level. Roughcast rendered walls above ground level, smooth rendered at basement level, separated by projecting cut-stone string course. Square-headed window openings having moulded limestone surrounds, cut stone sills and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed doorcase behind porch having moulded cut stone surrounds and original timber panelled door. Flight of cut stone steps flanked to either side by balustraded parapets gives access to doorway over basement. Fine neoclassical interior with elegant plasterwork and joinery. Set in landscaped grounds shared with a number of hospital buildings, c.1935.
The architectural quality and refinement are apparent in the design, execution and detailing of this fine country house. The impressive form and scale of this imposing house is emphasised by the symmetrical façade, a feature typically found in houses dating from the mid-Georgian Period. The interior is also noteworthy with some elegant rococo plasterwork and a fine staircase in Portland stone with brass balusters. The 1821 remodelling was carried out for William Pollard by the important architect C. R. Cockerell (1788-1867), who also carried out noteworthy work on Loughcrew House (Co. Meath) and the Gilson Endowed School (Oldcastle, Co. Meath) around the same time. The house has very important historical connections with the Pollard Family who were responsible for the development of Castlepollard during the early-seventeenth century and also the remodelling of the village in its present form c.1820. The house remained in Pollard hands until c.1935 when it was purchased by Sisters of Sacred Heart and used as a convent until 1971 when sold to Midland Health Board. This structure represents the focal point of an important and extensive range of demesne-related structures and contributes strongly to the architectural heritage of north Westmeath.
Back To Results|