Main Record - County Westmeath
|St. Ciaran's House, St. Mary's Place, Athlone, County Westmeath
|Date||1880 - 1890|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SCIENTIFIC|
|In Use As||building misc|| |
Detached five-bay two-storey over basement former school house with central breakfront, built in 1886. Renovated c.1985 to house Knights of Columbanus. Pitched natural slate roof with raised verges and wrought-iron finial to breakfront. Empty niche below to gable. Ruled-and-lined rendered walls with rendered quoins to corners and moulded string course at first floor level. Segmental-headed window openings to ground floor with hoodmouldings above, square-headed windows to first floor with drip mouldings, all with replacement fittings. Square-headed doorcase with replacement metal-sheeted doors. Set back from street behind low rendered wall with cut-stone coping with decorative cast-iron railings over.
A substantial late nineteenth-century school building, built in a sombre and imposing Gothic Revival-style. It retains its early form and character despite recent alterations and a change of use. The high gables and hoodmouldings are typical of the institutional architecture of the time and are noteworthy features. It remains an integral part of a cluster of important late nineteenth-century Roman Catholic structures along with the St. Mary's Church and the parochial house to the east.
Back To Results|