Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wicklow

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Aughrim, County Wicklow
16320020
Representative view
Reg. No.16320020
Date1865 - 1875
Previous NameN/A
TownlandAUGHRIM LOWER
CountyCounty Wicklow
Coordinates313036, 179711
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached six-bay two-storey Roman Catholic church, built 1870. The building is constructed in coursed rock-faced granite with block and start quoins and dressings and reducing buttresses. To the south-east corner is a three-stage bell tower which has a slated pyramidal roof. There are various projections which appear to be original and they include the sanctuary, a vestry and porches. A short flight of stone steps rise to the timber sheeted double front door which is set within a Gothic-arched opening; this in turn is set within a projecting gabled porch. Window openings are generally Gothic-arched with some paired and some triple lancet; these have decorative leaded glazing. The slated roof is finished with natural slate and cast-iron rainwater goods. The building is set back behind a low stone wall and within a slightly raised garden. Internally the church consists of a single cell with plastered and painted walls, a timber and encaustic tiled floor, and a coffered timber ceiling with exposed roof trusses. There are two groups of bench pews either side of a central aisle, and to the south there is a gallery with decorative pierced sides.

Appraisal

This well preserved 19th-century church is prominently sited on a low rise on the eastern approach to the town. It sets a 19th-century tone for the town and contributes much to the quality of the streetscape.
 
Back To Results