Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wicklow

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Nicholas's Church, Stephen Street, Dunlavin, County Wicklow
16308013
Representative view
Reg. No.16308013
Date1815 - 1820
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDUNLAVIN UPPER
CountyCounty Wicklow
Coordinates287008, 201507
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached five-bay single-storey Board of First Fruits Gothic Church of Ireland church, built 1816. Transepts were added in 1835 and the chancel in 1897. The building is finished in render. The sheeted double door has decorative strap hinges and is set within a pointed-arched opening with moulded surrounds. Window openings are generally pointed-arched with 'Y' tracery and hood mouldings; panes are leaded. The three-stage tower has ashlar castellated parapet and tall pinnacles. The pitched roof is finished in natural slate with cast-iron rainwater goods. The building is set well back behind a granite rubble wall with wrought-iron railings. It is set within a small graveyard.

Appraisal

A delightful early 19th-century church whose later additions give additional interest and charm. This is an important part of the heritage of this small town.
 
Back To Results