Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wicklow

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Supersavers Opticians, The Mall, New Street, Wicklow, County Wicklow
16003236
Front (north) and east elevations
Reg. No.16003236
Date1790 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyCounty Wicklow
Coordinates331768, 193885
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Asshop/retail outlet
Additional Useapartment/flat (converted)
 
Description
Attached three-storey block, originally comprising three properties; now a five-bay house and two-bay house to The Mall, built c.1810, and a four-bay house c.1810 to New Street, the side (east) elevation; renovated c.1990 with shopfronts inserted. Now in use as optician's shop and apartments. Hipped slate roofs with rendered chimneystacks, crenellated parapet to front (north) elevation, some cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted lined-and-ruled rendered walls to upper floors, painted lined-and-ruled rendered walls to ground floor. Render quoins. Square-headed window openings with granite sills, having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows to upper floors of front and east elevation of five-bay house, and replacement windows to front and west elevation of two-bay house, and rear elevation. Round-headed stair window to rear elevation, having spoked timber sliding sash window. Enlarged windows to ground floor, with channelled render surrounds to front elevation. Square-headed-door opening to front elevation, having glazed timber door, flanked by granite doric columns, having granite step. Round-headed door opening to east elevation, having timber panelled door with timber door surround comprising pilasters and cornice, flanked by sidelights, one blocked, with spoked fanlight over and having granite steps. Wheelguards to Coates Lane (west) elevation.

Appraisal

An interesting terrace, indicated as three contiguous buildings on the 25-inch map, which due to its height, form, detail and location makes an imposing figure on the streetscape today, notwithstanding significant alterations. The diminishing windows, round-headed doorcase to the side elevation, and carefully carved columns to the front door indicate both the Georgian origins and the high status of the building. The retention of many timber sash windows adds texture and depth to the façade. Sources suggest that it previously served as a custom house, courthouse and jail.
 
Back To Results