Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Wicklow

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Livinius Church of Ireland, Church Hill, Wicklow, County Wicklow
16001005
Graveyard viewed from within
Reg. No.16001005
Date1600 - 1900
Previous NameN/A
Townland
CountyCounty Wicklow
Coordinates331333, 194231
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usegraveyard/cemetery
In Use Asgraveyard/cemetery
 
Description
Church of Ireland graveyard, in use from c.1600, with carved stone grave markers and funerary monuments, some enclosed with cast-iron railings. Accessed on south corner through square-profile cut granite piers with carved pineapple finials; double-leaf wrought-iron gates with lantern holder over. Granite steps with rendered rubble stone retaining walls, with cut granite coping. Rubble stone boundary walls; retaining wall to road boundary to south-west. Probable site of medieval church.

Appraisal

Forming a notable group with its associated church, this graveyard is an important and visible feature on Church Hill. Containing many grave markers demonstrating skilled design and execution, it is also of historical interest as the resting place of Captain Robert Halpin, the noted Wicklow mariner. Both Church of Ireland and Roman Catholic grave markers are found here. Although now decommissioned, it is of considerable continuing social importance to the Church of Ireland community.
 
Back To Results