Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
County Waterford
22902609
Representative view of beacons.
Reg. No.22902609
Date1815 - 1825
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBROWNSTOWN
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates261217, 97693
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebeacon
In Use Asbeacon
 
Description
Pair of freestanding beacons, begun 1819; completed 1821, on circular plans. Limestone ashlar battered walls retaining traces of limewash finish with tooled cut-limestone beaded or "Ovolo" stringcourses below capping. Set on headland.

Appraisal

A pair of beacons erected to designs attributed to George Halpin (c.1779-1854), Inspector of Works and Lighthouses for the Ballast Board (appointed 1810), representing an important component of the early nineteenth-century built heritage of County Waterford (cf. 22902605). NOTE: The beacons were commissioned 'at the earnest solicitation of the harbour commissioners' following the "Sea Horse" disaster (1816) to distinguish Tramore Bay from the entrance into Waterford Harbour 'and consequently to avoid the dangerous bay [where] sunken rocks nearly covered by the sea at high water render the approach particularly dangerous' (Ryland 1824, 245-6).
 
Back To Results