Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Woodstown House, County Waterford
22901813
Representative view of house.
Reg. No.22901813
Date1820 - 1825
Previous NameN/A
TownlandWOODSTOWN LOWER
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates269352, 105791
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usehouse
In Use Ashouse
 
Description
Detached three-bay two-storey house, built 1823, possibly over basement and possibly incorporating fabric of earlier house, c.1725, on site with three-bay two-storey side elevations, and seven-bay two-storey service return wing to north-west on a U-shaped plan (comprising two-bay two-storey return to north-west with three-bay two-storey perpendicular wing to north-east, and two-bay two-storey perpendicular range to south-east) having seven-bay single-storey lean-to corridor bay to along courtyard (south-east) elevations. Renovated, c.1900, with six-bay single-storey lean-to veranda added along front (south-east) and side (south-west) elevations. Renovated, c.2000, with single-bay single-storey advanced glazed porch added to centre ground floor. Hipped slate roof on an E-shaped plan (pitched and hipped slate roofs to service return wing; lean-to to corridor range) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging rendered eaves. Swept lean-to corrugated-iron roof to veranda with iron ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls to main block with profiled plinth, vermiculated rendered quoins to corners, moulded stringcourse to first floor, and dentilated moulded cornice to first floor. Painted rendered walls to courtyard (south-east) elevations of service return wing with unpainted fine roughcast walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings to main block (in tripartite arrangement to front (south-east) elevation and to central bay side (south-west) elevation) with rendered sills, profiled rendered surrounds having friezes over, and fluted engaged colonette mullions to tripartite openings. 8/8 and 12/8 timber sash windows with 2/2 and 3/2 sidelights to tripartite openings. Square-headed openings to porch with glazed timber double doors, sidelights, and overlights. Segmental-headed door opening to house with glazed timber double doors, sidelights, and decorative fanlight. Square-headed openings to veranda with decorative open work iron intermediary piers, and decorative open work iron aprons to openings. Square-headed window openings to service return wing (some in bipartite arrangement) with rendered sills. 2/4 and 6/6 timber sash windows with some timber casement windows. Interior with entrance hall having decorative timber surrounds to door openings with timber panelled doors, decorative cornice to plasterwork ceiling, elliptical arch to stair hall on clustered colonettes having decorative archivolt with keystone, and cantilevered timber staircase with panelled underside, wrought iron balustrade, and carved timber handrail. Set back from road in own grounds with tarmacadam forecourt, sections of hoop iron railings to service courtyard on random rubble stone plinth, and landscaped grounds to site.

Appraisal

An elegantly-composed Regency-style substantial house, built by Robert Shapland Carew (later 1st Lord Carew) (d. 1829) to designs attributable to George Richard Pain (1793 - 1838). Very well maintained, the house presents an early aspect with important salient features and materials intact, both to the exterior and to the interior. Features, such as the tripartite openings and the fine rendered detailing throughout, augment the architectural quality of the composition, while the exterior is enhanced by the addition of an attractive iron veranda of artistic design merit. Carved timber joinery and decorative plasterwork to the interior attest to high quality craftsmanship. Set in mature landscaped grounds, the house forms a landmark site in the locality, and represents an important element of the architectural heritage of the county.
 
Back To Results