Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Catholic Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Vir, County Waterford
22901708
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.22901708
Date1830 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBUTLERSTOWN NORTH
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates255964, 108373
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached four-bay double-height Catholic church, c.1840, on a cruciform plan comprising two-bay double-height nave with single-bay double-height transepts to north and to south, and single-bay double-height chancel to east. Renovated, c.1890, with single-bay three-stage rubble stone engaged belfry added to south-west. Renovated, c.1940, with single-bay single-storey projecting porches added to transepts. Pitched slate roof on a cruciform plan with decorative red clay ridge tiles, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Rendered pyramidal roof to belfry behind parapet with rendered bellcote to apex having profiled aperture with cast-iron bell, moulded coping, and cross finial. Pitched artificial slate roofs to porches with clay ridge tiles, decorative bargeboards, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1990, on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered walls. Random rubble stone walls to belfry with cut-limestone quoins to corners, moulded stringcourse, and battlemented parapet with cut-limestone coping. Pointed-arch window openings with rendered sills and surrounds, and fixed-pane leaded stained glass windows. Elliptical-headed window opening to west with rendered sill and surround, timber mullions and tracery forming bipartite Tudor-headed arrangement with fixed-pane diamond-leaded panels. Paired triangular-headed window openings to porches with rendered sills, and fixed-pane timber windows. Square-headed door openings with three steps, and replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors, c.1990. Set back from road in own grounds with unpainted rendered boundary wall to perimeter having cut-stone piers, and wrought iron double gates. (ii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers and mausolea, c.1840 - present. (iii) Freestanding single-bay single-stage gable-fronted mausoleum, c.1865, to site. Pitched (gable-fronted) rendered roof with cross finial to apex. Unpainted rendered walls with red brick quoins to corners and inscribed cut-limestone pedimented plaque.

Appraisal

An attractive church of modest appearance that retains most of its original form and early fabric. The church is distinguished by the later belfry, which adds incident to the skyline. Features of artistic interest include some stained glass panels to the window openings, while the design merit of the site extends to include a range of cut-stone markers that attest to high quality craftsmanship.
 
Back To Results