Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Dunmore East Coastguard Station, Post Office Lane, Dock Road, Dunmore East, County Waterford
22817052
Represenative view of coastguard station.
Reg. No.22817052
Date1890 - 1910
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDUNMORE
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates268963, 100009
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usecoastguard station
In Use Ascoastguard station
 
Description
Detached single-bay two-storey gable-fronted coastguard station, c.1900, on a corner site with segmental-headed carriageway to ground floor, and two-bay two-storey side elevation to south-west. Extensively renovated and extended, 2001, comprising single-bay two-storey gable-fronted recessed end bay to north-east with square-headed carriageway to ground floor, and single-bay single-storey entrance bay to south-east. Pitched (gable-fronted) roofs (forming M-profile) with replacement slate, 2001, red clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Mono-pitch slate roof to entrance bay with square rooflight, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Unpainted replacement cement roughcast walls, 2001, with red brick quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, red brick block-and-start surrounds, and replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, 2001 (some possibly original). Segmental-headed carriageway with tooled cut-limestone block-and-start surround, and timber boarded double doors. Square-headed carriageway to additional block with iron rolling door. Square-headed door opening to entrance bay with tongue-and-groove timber panelled door. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete brick cobbled footpath along side (south-west) elevation.

Appraisal

An attractive, modest-scale building of particular significance in the locality for its associations with the maritime industry in Dunmore East that has traditionally supported the economy of the locality. The use of red brick and cut-limestone dressings serves to enliven the external appearance of the composition. Sympathetically restored and extended, the building presents an early character, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of Post Office Lane and Dock Road.
 
Back To Results