Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
4 Emerald Terrace, Dock Road, Dunmore East, County Waterford
22817043
Representative view of house.
Reg. No.22817043
Date1840 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandDUNMORE
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates268865, 100060
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Additional Useshop/retail outlet
 
Description
End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1850, retaining some early fenestration. Renovated, c.1950, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, red brick Running bond chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted roughcast walls to front (north-east) elevation with painted rendered walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings (remodelled, c.1950, to ground floor) with rendered sills, and rendered surrounds. 2/2 and 3/6 timber sash windows with replacement fixed-pane timber windows, c.1950, to remodelled openings (incorporating timber panelled door to right ground floor). Square-headed door opening with rendered surround, glazed timber panelled double doors, and overlight. Interior with cast-iron pillar, glazed timber partition, and timber panelled fittings. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front. (ii) Attached single-bay single-storey flat-roofed garage, c.1950, to north-east. Flat roof not visible behind parapet. Painted roughcast walls with rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed opening with rendered surround, and iron-sheeted double doors.

Appraisal

An appealing, small-scale house, remodelled to ground floor but otherwise retaining most of its original form and massing, together with important salient features and materials, thereby enhancing the historic appeal of the streetscape. The retention of an early commercial interior, including a cast-iron supporting pillar, significantly augments the importance of the site as an integral component of the architectural heritage of Dunmore East.
 
Back To Results