Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Cavendish Bridge (Lismore Bridge), Lismore, County Waterford
22809082
Representative view of bridge.
Reg. No.22809082
Date1855 - 1860
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBALLYIN LOWER
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates204811, 98819
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usebridge
In Use Asbridge
 
Description
Seven-arch cut-stone road bridge over river, built 1858, incorporating fabric of earlier bridge, 1774 - 1779. Broken coursed cut-limestone walls with rock-faced cut-limestone piers having rounded cut-waters, cut-stone pedimented piers to south having round-headed recessed niches with cut-stone plaques over, cut-stone stringcourses, and broken coursed squared tooled limestone parapets having cut-stone coping supporting decorative iron lamp standards. Series of seven round arches with cut-limestone voussoirs, and squared limestone soffits having traces of render over. Sited spanning River Blackwater with grass banks to river.

Appraisal

An elegantly-proportioned and Classically-detailed bridge, sponsored by the Duke of Devonshire (n. d.), and built by C.H. Hunt (n. d.) and E.P. Nagle (n. d.) to designs prepared by Charles Tarrant (1815 - 1877), County Surveyor of Waterford, replacing an earlier bridge on site. The construction in squared and cut-limestone produces a pleasing visual effect, and attests to high quality stone masonry. The civil engineering heritage significance of the composition if indicated by a series of elegant arches, which have retained their original profile.
 
Back To Results