Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Barrett, Catherine Street, Waterford, County Waterford
22504426
Representative view of building.
Reg. No.22504426
Date1895 - 1905
Previous NameN/A
TownlandWATERFORD CITY
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates260940, 112179
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usegarage
In Use Asgarage
 
Description
Terraced ten-bay two-storey flat-roofed garage, dated 1900, retaining original fenestration with square-headed carriageway to left ground floor, and single-stage clock tower to centre on a square plan. Extended, c.1950, comprising eight-bay single-storey flat-roofed return to south-west. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.2000. Flat felt roof behind parapet with cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Single-stage clock tower to centre on a square plan with engaged corner colonettes on moulded rendered stringcourse, cast-iron clock faces, and moulded cornice over having ogee-dome cap. Flat bitumen felt roof to return with timber eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with moulded necking to ground floor supporting fascia having moulded cornice, and moulded cornice to parapet having shallow blocking course over. Square-headed window openings with moulded rendered sills (forming sill course to first floor). 1/1 timber sash windows. Square-headed door openings with replacement glazed timber double doors, c.2000, having overlights. Square-headed carriageway with no fittings. Square-headed openings to return with replacement fixed-pane uPVC windows, c.2000. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

Appraisal

An extensive commercial building that is of significance as the earliest purpose-built motor garage in Ireland. Well-maintained, the street (east) front retains most of its original form and character, together with important salient features and materials. The liberal rendered decorative treatment throughout serves to mask the utilitarian form of the building and is of some artistic merit. A further distinctive feature is the clock tower, which retains original mechanisms of technical interest.
 
Back To Results