Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - County Waterford

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Patrick's Methodist and Presbyterian Chu, Patrick Street, Waterford, County Waterford
22501448
Representative view of church.
Reg. No.22501448
Date1725 - 1730
Previous NameN/A
TownlandWATERFORD CITY
CountyCounty Waterford
Coordinates260541, 112389
Categories of Special InterestARTISTIC ARCHITECTURAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL HISTORICAL SOCIAL TECHNICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
Additional Usechurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached three-bay single-storey rubble stone Church of Ireland church, dated 1727, with single-bay single-storey lower entrance bay to west, single-bay full-height chancel to east, and single-bay single-storey lean-to vestry to north-east. Now in use as Methodist and Presbyterian chapel. Pitched slate roof (hipped to entrance bay; lean-to to vestry) with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping having cut-stone bellcote to apex to west, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Random rubble limestone and shale walls with lime mortar. Round-headed window openings to nave and to chancel with cut-stone sills and surrounds. Fixed-pane diamond-leaded windows in paired lancet arrangement. Square-headed window opening to entrance bay with timber sill, and moulded cut-stone surround. Diamond-leaded timber casement window. Square-headed door opening with moulded cut-stone shouldered surround having inscribed keystone, tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors, Gothic-style overlight, and oculus window over (extending over eaves level) with cut-stone surround, and fixed-pane diamond leaded window. Full-height interior with tiled floor, carved timber pews, timber panelled gallery to first floor to west on fluted Doric columns with pipe organ, decorative chandelier, and decorative plasterwork surround to window opening to chancel comprising paired Composite pilasters with scrolled open-bed modillioned pediment over. Set back from road in own grounds with rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter having pair of limestone ashlar piers with wrought iron double gates, and iron gas lamp holder over. (iii) Graveyard to site with various cut-stone grave markers, c.1700 - present.

Appraisal

This church is an important building of modest appearance that has been very well maintained to present an early aspect. The construction of the church in locally-sourced materials serves to assimilate the composition into the surrounding landscape. The church retains many important salient features and materials, both to the exterior and to the interior. The interior is particularly noteworthy and incorporates features of artistic design importance, together with a gallery, the construction of which is of some technical merit. The church is attractively set in its own grounds with an attendant graveyard containing some early cut-stone markers suggesting that the church was built on the site of, and possibly incorporates the fabric of an earlier building of archaeological importance. The church is an attractive component of the architectural heritage of the locality and the boundary wall to the perimeter forms a picturesque feature in the streetscape of Patrick Street.
 
Back To Results