Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Saint Mary's Church, Tipperary South
22208401
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22208401
Date1830 - 1840
Previous NameN/A
TownlandGAMMONSFIELD
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates228256, 124176
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached cruciform-plan Catholic church, built c.1835, having three-bay nave elevation, full-height chancel and transepts, entrance porch to north of nave, single-storey additions to east, and two-storey attached tower to south. Pitched slate roofs having cast-iron ridge crestings, limestone belfry and crosses. Snecked limestone and unpainted rendered walls with cut-stone quoins. Round-headed openings with stained-glass windows having chamfered limestone surrounds and replacement timber doors having limestone surrounds. Square-headed opening having timber battened door to northeast. Interior has chancel arch, round-plan columns supporting round-headed arcade to transepts, king post truss roof, and timber gallery to west. Graveyard to site. Decorative concrete paving to site. Rubble and rendered boundary walls, rendered piers and cast-iron gates to site.

Appraisal

This church is interesting for its use of round-headed rather than pointed arches. The unusual transept arcades and the render roll-mouldings over them add interest to the interior. The use of stained glass throughout, with an unusually large range of subtle colours and tones, is pleasing, as are the decorative footpaths which surround the exterior.
 
Back To Results