Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon

Main Record - Tipperary South

Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Cregg House, Tipperary South
View from south-east (road).
Reg. No.22207908
Date1820 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates241344, 124769
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC
Original Usegate lodge
In Use Asgate lodge
Detached double-pile two-bay single-storey gate lodge, built c. 1825, with later single-storey extension to rear. Pitched slate roofs with red brick chimneystacks and bracketed sheeted eaves and decoratively-carved timber bargeboards to front elevation. Recessed square-headed panels with round-headed multi-light windows with lozenge-shaped lattice glazing. Square-headed entrance opening with timber panelled half-glazed double doors, sidelights and overlights. Wrought-iron garden gate to front and rubble limestone boundary walls with dressed limestone coping, bollards and cast-iron chains, and tooled chanelled limestone piers to demesne entrance.


This forms part of a notable demesne group including Cregg House, the outbuildings, steward's house, walled gardens, and the gate piers. The decorative bargeboards and corbelled eaves show evidence of the high level of design and craftsmanship used in the nineteenth century. Visible from the roadside, it provides interest to the local roadscape.
Back To Results