Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary South
22205802
View from road
Reg. No.22205802
Date1840 - 1850
Previous NameN/A
TownlandCULLEN
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates181160, 139952
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Freestanding cruciform-plan gable-fronted Roman Catholic church, built c. 1845, with three-bay nave elevation, having gable-fronted entrance porches to front façade and front north elevations of transepts, sanctuary projection to south elevation of west transept and single-storey flat-roofed sacristy with rendered chimneystack to rear elevation. Pitched slate roofs with painted rendered bellcote to gable-front and cut stone cross finials to all gable ends and porches, all having rendered copings. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Pebbledashed walls with painted smooth rendered eaves course, plinth and quoin courses. Pointed arch lancet windows, mainly double, having painted render surrounds, painted stone sills and leaded stained glass. Painted render hood-mouldings to transept porch window openings. Triple lancet windows to front façade, having painted render surrounds and painted stone sills, all under painted render hood moulding. Pointed arch to main porch and to recessed door opening, latter having double-leaf timber battened door. Pointed segmental-arched door openings to transept porches with timber battened doors. Exposed timber scissors brace roof to interior. Carved marble reredos, altar and altar rail. Carved timber gallery over entrance end of nave. Lawned area and painted rendered boundary walls with cast-iron railings to site.

Appraisal

This simple church occupies a prominent position at the west end of the village of Cullen. The contrast of pebbledash and smooth render to the façade lends textural interest, while attractive interior features include the exposed roof structure, carved timber gallery and marble altar furniture. Set back from the street on a lawned site, the character of the church building remains largely intact.
 
Back To Results