Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Tipperary South
22204308
Seen from south.
Reg. No.22204308
Date1825 - 1830
Previous NameN/A
TownlandKILCOOLYABBEY
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates229181, 158042
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached Board of First Fruits-style Church of Ireland church, built 1829, with four-bay nave elevation, four-stage tower to west, chancel to east, and transept to north incorporating vestry. Pitched slate roofs with carved limestone copings, cast-iron rainwater goods, and having cut limestone chimneystack to vestry. Cut and carved limestone finials, crocketed pinnacles and crenellations to tower. Snecked limestone walls with cut limestone plinth and with cut limestone corner buttresses and string courses to tower and chamfered cut limestone openings with hood-mouldings. Pointed-arch window openings, paired to third stage of tower, and Tudor-arch to ground stage of tower, all with replacement uPVC windows. Tudor-arch door opening to tower end of nave and pointed-arch to tower, latter with carved limestone door surround comprising roll-mouldings and label-moulding with trefoil motif to spandrels, both with dressed limestone steps and having timber vertically-panelled double-leaf door to nave and replacement timber to tower. Graveyard to site. Roughly-dressed stone ha-ha and cast-iron pedestrian gate flanked by monolithic limestone piers to south boundary. Carved limestone piers with steel gate to northwest entrance, and dressed granite piers with double-leaf steel gates to road entrance. Disused walled graveyard to southeast, disused graveyard with pyramidal monument and remains of ruin of church to south. Ruins of Cistercian abbey, built c.1200, to southwest.

Appraisal

This church has succeeded in retaining its character despite the replacement of window frames. The finely-detailed carving, in particular in the spandrels of the tower door, are testament to both the highly skilled craftsmanship of the nineteenth century and the high status accorded the Church of Ireland. It forms a pleasing ecclesiastical group with the medieval abbey, the ruined medieval parish church and several graveyards, and is a distinctive addition to the Kilcooly Abbey group of demesne buildings.
 
Back To Results