Main Record - Tipperary South
|Gortnahoo, Tipperary South
|Date||1815 - 1825|
|Categories of Special Interest||ARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC SOCIAL|
|In Use As||church/chapel|| |
Detached south-facing gable-fronted cruciform-plan Catholic church, built 1820, with three-bay nave elevations with entrance porches to nave and transepts and recent flat-roofed sacristy extensions to chancel. Pitched artificial slate roofs with chanelled limestone bell-cote over gable-front, carved stone crosses to gables, and moulded eaves course. Painted roughcast rendered walls with render quoins and render plinth. Round-headed openings with stained-glass windows, timber battened double-leaf doors with cast-iron hinges, having render block-and-start surrounds and moulded render hood-mouldings. Rose windows to gables and square-headed to sides of chancel. Interior retains timber panelled ceiling to barrel roof with limestone corbels, timber gallery, and marble altar furniture. Graveyard to site. Rendered piers and plinth with decorative cast-iron railings and gates to site boundary.
The simple, cruciform plan of this church is enlivened by the gabled porches to three of the gables. The render quoins and copings enhance the massing of the structure. On a significant corner site, it is a focal point in the small village of Gortnahoo.
Back To Results|