Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
West Gate, O'Connell Street, Irishtown, Clonmel, Tipperary South
22117052
East elevation.
Reg. No.22117052
Date1830 - 1835
Previous NameN/A
TownlandBURGAGERY-LANDS WEST
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates220092, 122293
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL HISTORICAL
RatingRegional
Original Usegates/railings/walls
In Use Asgates/railings/walls
 
Description
Terraced two-bay three-storey gate tower, dated 1831, with crenellated parapet, turret to northwest corner and pointed arch passageway to ground floor. Cut limestone crenellated parapet with carved limestone corbel table. Dressed coursed sandstone walls with dressed limestone quoins, having carved limestone date plaque to east elevation and recessed blind cross loop to west. Pointed-arch opening with dressed sandstone surrounds, voussoirs and hood-moulding to archway, with roughly dressed voussoirs above. Square-headed window openings with double pointed-headed timber fixed one-over-one pane windows with chamfered limestone surrounds and label-mouldings. Loop to west elevation. Chamfered cruciform and square-headed recessed panels. Square-headed blind loops to turret.

Appraisal

Built on the site of a medieval town gate, this Tudor Revival style structure makes a very imposing and notable feature on the streetscape. It occupies a prominent site, dividing the vistas from O'Connell Street and Irishtown. The gate mirrors the Main Guard, both terminating the ends of O'Connell Street. The structure offers variety of form, texture, materials and style to the streetscape and to the town. Notable features such as the crenellations, turret and label-mouldings enliven the façade of the structure. Said to have been erected on the initiative of a merchant named Joyce, another personality association is apparent from a stone plaque with a relief portrait of the writer Laurence Sterne inscribed 'Born in Clonmel, 24th November, 1713' on the west side of the gate.
 
Back To Results