Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary South

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Scully Cross, Cashel, Tipperary South
22105091
View from south-west.
Reg. No.22105091
Date1865 - 1875
Previous NameN/A
TownlandST. PATRICKSROCK
CountyTipperary South
Coordinates207525, 140965
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL
RatingNational
Original Usecross
In Use Ascross
Additional Usemausoleum
 
Description
Memorial to Scully family, erected 1870, comprising partly-collapsed sandstone ringed cross standing over plinth containing mausoleum, with second, limestone, mausoleum of c.1880 to same family, standing adjacent to south. Cross plinth of rock-faced stone having entrance in west face, with inscribed lettering 'Ó Scolaidhe' and having carved stone frieze between base and bottom of cross, with Celtic Revival motifs and interlace. Shallow splayed base to cross proper, with steeper, flared section above, stonework assembled to give clinker effect, having square-plan section above again, with inscribed plaques, having Latin inscription to band above. Cross itself is Early Christian style with figure sculpture to base and rope moulding to corners of shaft and interlace and other motifs to panels. Top part of cross, including ring lies on ground to east of cross, having figure and abstract sculpture. Freestanding mausoleum has pitched roof of heavy slabs with cut limestone coping to front, rendered rubble side and rear walls and rock-faced west façade, latter with shouldered entrance having inscribed plaque set into chamfered recess above.

Appraisal

This immense high cross represents a significant artistic achievement. Its location is very fitting for its function as a memorial atop St Patrick's Rock at Cashel. It is one of the most striking monuments on the Rock, being visible clearly from the town. The cross has very finely executed sandstone work, with accomplished figure sculpture and interlace. The accompanying freestanding mausoleum forms a group with the cross and its limestone construction contrasts with that of the cross. The ringed top of the cross was sheared off by lightning in 1976.
 
Back To Results