Fáilte/Welcome | Feedback | Site Maprssfacebookicon
Loading

Main Record - Tipperary North

 
Additional Images     View location on map
print-icon   Print This Page
Monroe Roman Catholic Church, Monroe, Tipperary North
22404001
South, roadside, elevation.
Reg. No.22404001
Date1835 - 1845
Previous NameN/A
TownlandMONROE (INCH)
CountyTipperary North
Coordinates205682, 162796
Categories of Special InterestARCHITECTURAL ARTISTIC HISTORICAL SOCIAL
RatingRegional
Original Usechurch/chapel
In Use Aschurch/chapel
 
Description
Detached T-plan church, built c. 1840, and containing elements of 1806 church, with two-bay nave and transepts and later lower sacristy to east with relocated bellcote, and porch to west. Pitched artificial slate roof. Pebbledashed walls, with rubble limestone exposed around window openings and at quoins, with date plaques set into south gable. Pointed arch window openings with dressed limestone voussoirs, traceried timber sash six-over-six pane windows and having stained glass to each side of east, altar, end. Fixed windows with Y-tracery to transept gables. Pointed arch former door opening in east gable now containing recessed window. Dressed limestone bellcote with cross finial. Four-centred arched doorways to porch and to west walls of transepts, with replacement glazed timber doors. Redecorated and remodelled intrerior has tabernacle in recess flanked by paired pilasters supporting entablature and open-bed pediment.

Appraisal

Designed in a traditional T-plan, this church incorporates elements, such as the bell turret and memorial plaque from the earlier "neat chapel" built in 1806, referred to by Lewis. The internal features, such as the stained glass, add artistic interest to this building.
 
Back To Results